This is the season for cozy fires, delicious treats, gift giving (and getting!), and for some, travelling near and far to spend time with loved ones. So who says road trips are only for summer vacations? Travelling with your dog can be a year-round adventure, but winter travel does come with a unique set of challenges and considerations. With that in mind, the team at Petcurean has put together a practical list of winter travel hacks to make sure you and your dog get off on the best ‘paw’ possible. So, if you’re planning a trip to visit friends and family this holiday season, don’t leave your pup at home – take him along for the ride (literally!) and make it a trip neither of you will soon forget.
- Plan ahead: If you’re driving, winter road conditions can be unpredictable, so plan your route in advance with this in mind. From bad weather to icy roads to a higher likelihood of accidents, it’s a good idea to build in a bit of buffer time to your itinerary, especially if you’re travelling on a time-sensitive schedule.
- Safety first: Consider having your pet travel in a well-ventilated kennel. Throw in a favorite blanket and we guarantee it’s the best way to ensure your pup’s safety and comfort when you’re on the move. Whether it’s a wire, plastic, or soft-sided crate, make sure it’s large enough for your dog to stand, sit, lie down, and turn around in. If they’re not used to being in a crate, it’s also a good idea to give your dog the chance to get used to it at home beforehand.
- Pack light: With the added bulk of holiday gifts in addition to the rest of your usual luggage, cut down on your load by packing light when it comes to your pup’s food. Petcurean’s NOW FRESH wet food recipes are packaged in convenient, compact and recloseable Tetra Pak cartons, and are ideal for an on-the-go meal solution. The recipes have been specially formulated with complete and balanced nutrition in mind, are non-GMO and made with 100% fresh meat and bone broth, providing a meaty flavour dogs love. You can travel with peace of mind knowing that your pup is getting delicious, nutrient-packed meals on the road with zero rendered meats, by-products, or artificial preservatives.
- Take a pit stop: It’s a good idea to plan for breaks when you’re on the road, especially if your trip is on the longer side of things. Map a few scenic stops along your route and take the opportunity to get a stretch in with a short walk, take a bathroom break, and grab a bite to eat. This goes for your pup and you!
- Are we there yet? When you finally arrive at your final destination, don’t forget to pack some of the key comforts of home for your pet. A favorite toy, comfy bed or blanket from home will go a long way in making your pup feel at home in your new digs. And, just like humans, they will probably appreciate a familiar environment to relax in after a long day of travelling!
Quality time spent with loved ones over the holidays are what the best memories are made of. And, including your precious furry family member in these memories can be easier than you think with some thoughtful planning and mindfulness. We hope these tips will help aid you in the planning process as you gear up for a memorable winter trip with your pup!
For more information on pet nutrition,
check out https://www.petcurean.com/health-nutrition/dogs-health-nutrition/.